Thursday, December 07, 2006

Calico Haunts



Calico Haunts: "New Pinebox Blues"
"Recollection" (demos)

Well, a month off is about enough, I guess. Apologies to anyone who missed me. (Perhaps there was someone...)

Using my tried and true on-the-bill-with-a-band-I-already-like technique, I checked out Calico Haunts, who play with Spider Bags at Local 506 tonight. They are one of those MySpace-only bands, so I don't know much about them, but the music sounds good. The demos on their My Space have a sparse, time-worn folky sound reminiscent of Gillian Welsh's Time (The Revelator). Even the titles have a whiff of anachronism about them ("New Pinebox Blues", "Laudanum Bottle") Their list of influences/sounds like suggests that they might have a little more fire in their bellies than these recordings suggest (citing, for instance, Neil Young and the Kinks), and I'd be interested to hear that thrown into the mix based on these promising beginnings.

So that's tonight at Local 506, a free show no less, with Spider Bags, who definitely do have a fire in their belly (maybe whiskey) and some fine new songs to stream on their My Space, plus the apparently-not-online Stone Fox.

4 Comments:

At 4:19 PM, Blogger Lyricslover said...

Does this mean I should cancel the missing person report?

 
At 11:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're back! We missed you.

-Bryan

Diversions: The Daily Tar Heel
apps.dailytarheel.com/blogs/dive

 
At 3:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're back!!! Yes!

 
At 11:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

BTW, as a 1/07 update, STONE FOX now has a website at myspace.com/foxystoner. Drop by, ...and tell him how much you love the photos!

There are also amateur fan videos noted in one of the early comments. For those desperate to hear how good this new group is, this may be the ticket! Copy and paste the addresses in your browser.grkx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home