Monday, March 13, 2006

Well, that's embarassing...

Truth is, I only have a handful of Hazeldine and Glory Fountain songs in my collection, and it turns out that one of them is by a different band! As I have been notified in comments, that song in my previous post isn't by Hazeldine -- eMusic has the artist attributions all screwed up on that Bloodshot compliation. Please be assured that my quality control staff is giving the fact-checking team a good working-over this afternoon.

So, having consulted other references and picking out what I think is the Hazeldine song on that comp, it really makes sense -- much more of a sound that's in line with Tres Chicas. By way of apology, here 'tis:
Hazeldine: "Unforgiven"
(from Down to the Promised Land: 5 Years of Bloodshot Records, 2000. Buy or download. Buy other stuff here.)

And if I'm wrong about this too, let's just move on...


Since I'm revisiting this, I thought I'd comment further on the new Chicas album, having listened a bit more over the weekend. It's not that the tone of the whole album is different from Sweetwater -- there are some really nice songs on the new one, including "Man of the People" and the somewhat Celtish "Red". It's just a handful of songs that have a (to me) less-distinctive, Norah-Jonesy vibe, including "Stone Love Song" and "Sway", and even those have those marvellous harmonies that make them enjoyable. So, still perhaps not quite as much of a favorite for me as Sweetwater, but probably a bit better than my initial review on Friday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home