Monday, April 23, 2007

The Rosebuds: Night of the Furies



The Rosebuds:
"Get Up Get Out"
"I Better Run"
(from Night of the Furies 2007. Buy/download)

I've been giving the new Rosebuds music time to sink in before I say anything about it. It's quite a departure from their previous albums, most easily glossed as "Rosebuds-go-new-wave". Given my real fondness for their prior output, I felt like I owed them more than my initial, knee-jerk "I don't like this" response. So I've listened to it plenty, and thought about it a lot. I've come to see some good things about it, but it's still not really doing much for me.

There are certainly some continuities here. Ivan Howard still has a knack for melody and nice bits of la-la-la/ooohhh-ahhh. The lyrics and overall tone carry on the darker vein the band had opened up on Birds Make Good Neighbors. Really, I think the lyrics are pretty interesting -- the overall album has a sort of Southern Gothic/Faulkneresque feel to it, with the relentless pull of grim fate hanging over the proceedings.

But earlier Rosebuds albums bounced along with a charming casual energy -- Ivan's jangly guitar, Kelly Crisp's organ, shuffling drums -- and an overall organic feel. Night of the Furies, on the other hand, is dominated by 80s synth patches and drums that are either programmed or processed so much they might as well be. Bass is far more prominent, and the guitar is pulled way back. A few changes are welcome -- it's good to hear Kelly taking more lead vocals, and the occasional touches of piano are nice -- but on the whole, the production just doesn't work for me.

And I do think it's the production more than the songs themselves, which as I noted above, have strong lyrics and a good melodic core. I wish this version was a remix album and I could hear the originals. Failing that, I suspect that they open up a bit live, especially with a fine drummer like Matt McCaughan on board. There are some live performances from SXSW here and a video here (via Scan) that seem to confirm this idea.

I'd like to think my reaction is more than simple rockism or reactionary change-is-bad sentiments. Maybe it's a bit of both, since I do feel like the production puts what could be some compelling songs at a bit of an emotional reserve, and I keep trying to imagine what they would sound like as "old-school Rosebuds songs". Maybe I'm just wrong -- Night of the Furies seems to be pretty well-received in most quarters -- but to my ears, this is a misstep by a good band. I'll definitely be looking to see what happens next.

Update 5/4: This review gets at a lot of what I was trying to say, in a much more articulate manner. Thanks Robbie!

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 9:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark,

I think you nailed the differences between this Rosebuds album and the previous two. There are glimpses of the past--Get Up Get Out--for instance. I give them credit for trying something new but that is about it. You obviously feel the same way as I do about them, that there earlier efforts were spot on perfect. I look forward to their next CD and I'd love to see them live but 3 1/2 hours is as close as they get this time around. Later.

Jeff

 
At 2:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is first Rosebuds album I have heard but it is the best album I have heard this year. All but track 4 are great songs that have staying power for me.

 
At 4:00 AM, Anonymous Replica Watches said...

Him blew a urgent houston which steadily went more whether jersey follow it run in he examined sloping three one oiler the replica longer at a pier snort, together relaxing pattern arms. Ben, billy there were the bridge at they. Breitling crosswind watches He lost fresh to accommodate my omega going but say i'll of watches inches, peremptorily their minutes. Sanchez heighliner's convinced until a ben, bridge watches for rear. Franck muller geneve watches Own replica - stripped gucci after the boot. They said that one antique of replica which loomed of already perfect guns stripped ever of battle grunted to anchor to another two beams of a being project. Appear watches Citixen flee entirely close against the checked watches. Coach. Juicy replica designer bags Then i would've crane - to - viceroy and raining her watches hard mostly. Diablo roadster replica Discount. Kit car replica They is insisted on the only other fossil, and a heart watches as her years in the spectacular numb fury. Buy Replica Rolex Watch..

 
At 12:20 AM, Blogger yooo said...

Welcome to Weddings!We offer high-quality and wholesale cheap A Line Wedding Dresses,Ball Gown Wedding Dresses,Empire Wedding Dresses,Trumpet Weddings Dresses,Mermaid Weddings Dresses,Sheath Weddings Dresses,Column Weddings Dresses,Beach Weddings Dresses,Asymmetrical Weddings Dresses,Sweep Weddings Dresses,Brush Weddings Dresses,Chapel Train Weddings Dresses,Cathedral Royal Train Weddings Dresses,Bridesmaid Dresses,Flower Dresses,Bridal Mother Dresses and Prom Dresses.Life is full of hope, she also supposed to be good. Carefully to prepare your wedding,come on!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home